Baby dies after Pulse Polio injection
Monday, 23 August , 2004, 15:58
Kolkata: A four-month old baby boy has died at Battola village in West
Bengals South 24 Parganas district, after being administered pulse polio, his
parents have alleged, but the district chief medical officer has denied it. The baby
was administered the dose on Sunday morning and died the same evening. His
father Kamal Khamaru complained that the baby was suffering from cold and fever
and was forcibly administered pulse polio in the presence of the police.
Complications surfaced in the evening and the baby was rushed to the local
rural hospital with complaints of respiratory problem and vomitting. As the
situation worsened he was moved to Diamond Harbour subdivisional hospital but died
on the way, the father said.
Chief Medical Officer Health Pradip Mondal denied that the death was due to
administration of pulse polio and said the baby had died due to suffocation as
his food got stuck in his respiratory track.
The death sparked off tension in the village and the UNICEF and health
department officials were gheraoed when they went to visit the village on Monday.
The police rescued them and forces were posted there to control the situation.
The villagers alleged that pulse polio was being administered by novices and
not experienced health workers. Door-to-door pulse polio campaign for the next
two days began on Monday with 6.62 lakh children out of the targetted 8.30
lakh in the district already covered under the programme on Sunday.