|Extracted from Nexus Magazine,
Volume 3, #2 (February-March 1996).
PO Box 30, Mapleton Qld 4560 Australia. firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: +61 (0)7 5442 9280; Fax: +61 (0)7 5442 9381
From our web page at: www.nexusmagazine.com
|© 1995/96 by Ben C. Vidgen
1/46 Beattie Street
Balmain, NSW 2041
Phone +61 (0)2 810 7870
"If Jesus Christ were to stand up today, he'd be gunned down cold
by the CIA."
(The The, "Armageddon Days", Mind Bomb album, Epic Records, 1991)
It is considered a principle of strategic law that the success of rebellion is dependent upon the interests of an outside power. In the West, this fact has always been used to explain the existence of leftist terrorism in the 'seventies, and Islamic militarism in the 'nineties. With leftist terrorism, the Soviets were accused as the instigators, while Libya and Iran have been targeted as the states responsible for the myth of an Islamic threat. However, while the corporate media have been willing to exaggerate and even fabricate the truth of these claims, they have remained silent in regard to America's involvement in the promotion of terrorism.
On the issue of right-wing terrorism, little has been reported. On America's intelligence connection to 'Islamic' guerrillas (and their manipulation of Islam), nothing has been said. Yet, the truth is that amongst those who utilise religious faith to justify war, the majority are closer to Langley, Virginia, than they are to Tehran or Tripoli.
However, it is not just among Islam's minority that racism or arrogance is exploited. The ties between Western intelligence, anti-Communist elements of the Vatican and Hitler's men are not slim. Since the final days of World War II, the totalitarian seekers have made use of people's hatred by establishing a clandestine Fascist network. The influence of this cabal is felt in South America, France and Western Europe, and, today, in the conflict of former Yugoslavia. There are even indicators that elements of this espionage ring of death have reached as far as Australasia.
Through a combination of individuals, government-endorsed death squads, influential religion-based secret societies and even governments, the freedom and willpower of the people are being destroyed. Terrorism has become the new means by which the old strategy of divide and conquer is being implemented on a global scale.
The history of counter-insurgency would make it clear that an insurgency, regardless of its scale, cannot survive without the support of a sympathetic and powerful ally. Rebels cannot undermine the state's authority unless they possess the financial, logistical and political support of agents whose influence equals or betters the ruling system's power. This agent may be internally based (as we shall see with the French anti-Gaullist resistance), but, in general, it tends to be an external third power.
The above is a premise wholeheartedly agreed with by the US-based right-wing Center for International Affairs (a favourite stomping ground of Henry Kissinger and Zbigniew Brzezinski) which endorsed David Galula's statement, "no revolutionary war can remain a purely internal affair".1 The Center for International Affairs (and its close cousin, the Center for Strategic and International Studies) utilised this hypothesis to promote the perception that the Soviet Union lay behind all incidents of international terrorism. Their prestige and influence was so great that when the CIA's own analysts could not find verifiable proof of a Soviet terrorist conspiracy, the CIA director, William Casey, chose to rely on the information of journalist Claire Sterling in her book, The Terror Network. "Read Claire Sterling's book and forget this mush. I paid $13.95 for this and it told me more than you bastards whom I pay $50,000 a year," responded Casey in fury.2 The irony was that Claire Sterling's book had used material that was in fact part of a CIA propaganda scheme.3
The 'wise old men' also enthusiastically pushed the theory, until it became a believed reality, that Iran and Libya were solely responsible for the promotion of Islamic fundamentalism. However, an examination of current affairs demonstrates clearly that the key players originate from regions that are firmly under the Western sphere of influence. For while the Islamic jihad has Iranian members (and has made use of Iran and Libya as safe havens), the major influences come from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Egypt and Algeria. In Afghanistan and Pakistan, fundamentalism could not have bloomed without the CIA's covert assistance-a fact that is apparent when one examines the history of the area.
In July 1977, Pakistan's Prime Minister, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, was overthrown in a CIA-backed coup led by General Mohammed Zia Al-Haq. It is his daughter Benazir Bhutto's belief that the motive behind this coup and Zulfikar's subsequent execution, lay in his initiation of a nuclear technology program (with Gaullist France's assistance)-a decision that Henry Kissinger, in person, had warned could lead to Pakistan being turned into a "horrible example". Once Zia had obtained control, the CIA promptly moved in en masse, and its overseas station in Pakistan soon became its largest.4 This action resulted out of National Security Adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski's desire to engage the Soviet Union in what he termed "their Vietnam": the Afghanistan war.5
In a move to recruit soldiers for the Afghanistan civil war, the CIA and Zia encouraged the region's Islamic people to think of the conflict in terms of a jihad (holy war). Thus was fundamentalism promoted. In return, General Zia, surfing on his image as the great Islamic crusader, built up a loyal following amongst the Pushwar people who inhabited the border of Pakistan and Afghanistan. General Zia was quick to utilise their loyalty to staff his army and security forces. However, Zia was not adept enough to know when a good thing was coming to an end.
The arrival of glasnost meant nothing to Zia and he continued to preach the message that had secured his power. General Zia appeared not even to have had a glimmer of suspicion when the US, via the Council on Foreign Relations (another control tool of Kissinger and Brzezinski), lobbied for the release of Benazir Bhutto from house arrest in 1984. The elected spokesmen for this task were US Democrat Rhode Island Senator Clairborne Pell, Edward Kennedy, and the State Department's Peter Galbraith (a college classmate of Benazir Bhutto).6
The Kennedy clout aside, it was an interesting selection. Clairborne Pell's past was as a member of the intelligence subcommittee, where, on 26th July 1972, he had chaired questions on environmental war (rainmaking)7, whereas Peter Galbraith's future lay in diplomatic service as Ambassador to Croatia.8
Benazir Bhutto's initial release would prove useful in undermining Zia's control, and in 1985 she won the General Assembly elections. Though Zia would contest the results, he remained a threat to Bhutto (and an embarrassment to America) until his plane crashed the following year. Many suspect the 'accident' of being engineered.9
Despite Benazir Bhutto's assistance in undermining Zia's influence, she was clearly not the Council on Foreign Relations' desired puppet. For it was not until 1993 (two dismissed governments and two assassination attempts later) that Benazir was able to wrestle control away from Zia's number two, President Ghulam Ishaq Kha (Chairman of the Senate under Zia's administration). Her comparatively secure position is attributed by many to be as a result of her belief in intelligence and her ruthless approach to global politics. It is clear that she has no illusions as to who is behind the promotion of Islamic terrorism. For just before her recent visit to the US, she held a press conference where she stated: "The question that arises is, who was the mastermind that saw that the World Trade Center should be bombed and that I should be eliminated from the  elections...? I would feel that it is those individuals who were involved in the Afghan jihad because they were then brainwashed [literally ( author's note)] to believe that it was the duty of any Muslim to spread Islam through terror."10
It would seem that her remarks and subsequent comments, which, in political speech, translate as "I have a secret: shall I reveal it?", hit a nerve. The arms embargo, imposed upon Pakistan for Benazir Bhutto's continuation of Pakistan's nuclear program, was lifted.13 The slim majority of US Congress's agreement to do so indicates the presence of severe lobbying upon the issue. As a consequence, Pakistan will now receive delivery of US$368 million in military equipment purchased under the Zia administration, and the revival of tens of millions of dollars worth of economic aid and US loans. It shall probably also mean greater International Monetary Fund- provided assistance.14 As far as Congress is aware, Pakistan is not required to do anything in return.
The sudden goodwill towards Pakistan makes it clear that interested parties do not want the issue of the New York Trade Center bombing to resurface-in particular, the US intelligence services' connection to the accused Egyptian and Pakistani bombers.
In 1981, following the assassination of Egyptian President Anwar Sadat, America and Egypt chose to step up their infiltration of the Egyptian-based fundamentalists15-a move that occurred partly out of the CIA's desire to avoid another Sadat, and partly to utilise it as a propaganda weapon against Libya and Iran (and now Iraq). Thus, by the 'nineties, the situation in Egypt was such that no militant could go to the toilet without the Egyptian or US intelligence services knowing about it.
The actual degree of the infiltration's success is best demonstrated by the 1995 trial of the New York World Trade Center (accused) bombers. The prosecution evidence includes videotape footage taken by an Egyptian intelligence-service informer.16 The witness denies that he is an Egyptian intelligence agent; however, US officials admit "he is no choir boy".17 The informer is to receive over US$2 million dollars for his assistance.
This is an interesting contradiction of US law which states that it is illegal to use American taxpayers' money to pay a bribe to a convicted murderer.
In Algeria and France, the current 'Islamic' hotspots, the Islamic guerrillas likewise have been encouraged by forces with ulterior motives. Fundamentalists are receiving intelligence and logistical support from right-wing elements within France's own government. To date, Jean Louis Dèbre, the French Interior Minister, has been accused by the police Judiciae (the French version of the CIB or the FBI) of misdirecting the security forces for "political motives".18
Likewise, the French police have been accused of cooperating within the Spanish state and of creating GAL (anti-terrorist liberation group) death squads in their war against the leftist and Basque separatists. Witnesses called upon to give evidence have stated that French police, right-wing extremists, police informers and former OAS (the French terrorist organisation opposed to Algerian independence) members assisted with GAL operations within France.19 The revelation of the OAS involvement puts another perspective upon the Algeria-related terrorist attacks within France and Algeria itself.
The OAS connection to the fundamentalists of Algeria is not new. In 1961,
Senior OAS Commander Jean-Jacques Sysini discussed with the CIA's Paris
station officer the possibility of a Franco-Muslim alliance.20
The outcome, according to available material, is that the CIA-OAS-Muslim
republic was cut short, for President Kennedy, on the advice of his
political advisers, cancelled the covert assistance program before it could
begin.21 However, after the assassination of Kennedy in 1963, it
is known that the CIA's use of covert operation programs increased on a
dramatic scale.22 There is no reason to conclude that the CIA did
not take advantage of the situation to utilise their OAS and
non-governmental Muslim assets. This would ensure that neither a French
republic nor a Soviet-controlled government obtained control of the Algerian
oil fields. The French have long accused American oil companies of having
encouraged the USA's support of the OAS and Muslim rebels.23
The OAS, though, was not the only inbred resistance organisation of the era, for during the Algerian crisis another organisation came to be known. Like the OAS, it was comprised of individuals with anti-Soviet, pro-Catholic beliefs and the same desire to rid France of Charles de Gaulle. The organisation's name is not cited in the book, Target De Gaulle. However, from its listed connections to the Vatican and pro-Nazi activists, and its possession of detailed, accurate intelligence on the very inner workings of the de Gaulle Government, it is possible to surmise that the secret society cited was in fact Il Gladio.24
In 1990, Italian Prime Minister Giulio Andreotti briefed the Italian Parliament on a secret paramilitary organisation called Il Gladio (from the Latin, meaning "sword"). He explained that Gladio had been set up in 1956 and was run by the CIA to take precautions against Communist aggression. In particular, Gladio was tasked to reduce the influence of Communism in France and Italy (later, this would include Spain) via a "strategy of tension".25
Since this revelation, journalists have unearthed the meaning behind this term. It was Gladio's tactic to make use of right-wing mercenaries and Mafia hit-men to carry out attacks that were then blamed upon the left. These attacks include the Mafia's involvement in the Red Brigade's kidnap and murder of Italian Prime Minister Aldo Moro in 1978.26 The strategy was to utilise the citizens' fear to justify the greater power of the security forces.
Gladio was also revealed to have strong ties to the former Nazi intelligence operators who, under the General Gehlen and Allen Dulles contract, were being recruited to help create America's post-war CIA.27 This would include the infamous Licio Gelli, a.k.a. "The Puppet Master" and head of the Vatican-Mafia Masonic Lodge, P2.28 It was Licio Gelli who helped to organise the "rat line" which was responsible for smuggling the Nazis out of Europe. Gelli's partner was Father Krujoslav Dragonovic, a Croatian Catholic priest and friend to Croatia's wartime leader, Dr Pavlic. While Gelli liaised with the respective intelligence agencies (which included those of America, Britain, Italy and the escaping Gestapo), Dragonovic negotiated with the Vatican for its assistance in the plan.29 For this service, Gelli and Dragonovic, as a norm, charged the fleeing Nazis 40 per cent of their wealth.30
However, Gestapo chief Klaus Barbie ("The Butcher of Lyon") was not charged, as the US Counter-Intelligence Corps picked up the tab as part of their recruitment of Barbie as an agent.31
In 1954, Gelli himself used the rat line and escaped to Argentina where he resided as a friend of Argentinian dictator General Juan Peron.32 No doubt Gelli was not lonely, for, in Argentina, Pavlic served as Peron's security adviser, while Klaus Barbie held a similar position in nearby Bolivia.33 In fact, all throughout South and Central America, the people have encountered the effects of these CIA imports. South America's legacy as home to some of the worst cases of state-induced terrorism owes much thanks to the CIA's involvement with P2.
In Europe, P2 was/is suspected of being behind Fascist attacks carried out against the left, with the design to weaken people's faith in a socialist government.34 In 1976, P2 was also suspected of being behind the assassination of Italian magistrate Vittoria Occorsio. At the time, Occorsio was investigating P2 links to neo-Nazi organisations. His death simultaneously killed his P2 investigation.35 However, former Gladio agents have attributed the 1969 Piazza Fontana bombing and the 1974 and 1980 Bolognan bombings (a total of 113 deaths and over 185 injured) to the P2 organisation.36
In 1980, however, P2 was dealt a severe blow when Italian police, attempting to clarify Gelli's connection to Mafia don Michele Sindona, discovered a P2 membership-roll document bearing 962 names. The list included over 50 generals and admirals, two cabinet members, 36-plus policemen, journalists, pundits and pop stars.37 The consequences destroyed the Italian Government, and came close to ending NATO. Yet Signorina Tina Anselmi, chairman of the parliamentary commission (now suspended) into P2, is quoted in David Yallop's book, In God's Name, as stating: "P2 is by no means dead. It still has power. It is working in the institutions. It is moving in society. It has money, means and instruments still at its disposal. It still has fully operative power centres in South America. It is also able to condition, at least in part, Italian political life."38 In turn, if events in France (whose secret service prevented Gelli's arrest in 1982 by the Italian secret service) and Spain are any indicators, it would appear that this web of espionage is far from untangled.
P2 is not the only force of Fascism that remains at large. The rise of the new right is prevalent throughout Europe and the globe as a whole. Fascist organisations like America's Aryan Nation are rapidly on the increase. However, more disturbing are reports of such pro-Nazi group infiltration within armies and police forces of several democratic states including America, Canada, Britain and Australia. In Germany, anti-Fascist investigators like John Kohl also report of the neo-Nazis' increased military efficiency. In August 1995 a large cache of arms, thought to have come from former Yugoslavia, confirmed worst fears. Neo-Nazi activists are using ex-Yugoslavia as a training ground.39 To date, 150 neo-Nazi mercenaries of German origin are known to be fighting in Croatia alongside Fascists from America, Britain and Austria.40
Yet again, the Balkans are serving their historical role as a breeding ground for the return of terror, with potential international consequences. For while Gaullist France, Britain and Russia provide arms to Serbia on one side, America, with equally ulterior motives, denies the existence of Ustache-connected elements within the Croatian Government (Ustache was the pro-Nazi WWII nationalist organisation). At the same time, America (with Germany and, strangely, Israel) has been conducting a covert airlift of weapons into Croatia and Bosnia from the start of the conflict. The weapons and funds have in all likelihood come from Pakistan, Indonesia and possibly even Iran. The operations logistical support has been carried out by a mixture of US forces, allied UN troops and, according to local rumours, elements of the French Foreign Legion at Sarajevo.41
According to the relative of a high-ranking Indonesian military official, one such airlift took place in August 1994 when New Zealand UN troops brought weapons-provided by Indonesia and destined for the Muslim forces-along with their baggage. How authentic this report is, is not known. However, it is on record that in early September 1994, shortly after the arrival of NZ troops in the former Yugoslavian republic, Bosnian forces launched a counter-offensive. Bosnia had suddenly procured munitions and heavy weapons, previously much in lack. Where had/who had/what had made such a feat possible? Perhaps it is just coincidence that, a week later, Indonesia awarded New Zealand Telecom an NZ$600 million contract.42
Prior to this affair, in the early days of the conflict New Zealand's 60 Minutes had run a program on the connection of an NZ-Israeli airline company, named Pacific Express, to the arms trade.43 The documentary cited the airline's flight pattern which included Pakistan, New Zealand, Bosnia and Somalia-a flight pattern which matched developing heroin routes into the USA at that time.44 It is with eerie similarity that we are reminded of the Iran-Contra affair where the promotion of drugs and terrorism and the pursuit of totalitarian principles were justified in the name of self-interested national security.
However, when investigating the conspiracies of our times, it is often
easy to fall into the trap of blaming one specific group. In this article I
have examined the CIA, Nazi and right-wing cabals involved in terrorism. Yet
there does exist evidence of a yet greater cabal that is just as willing to
exploit hate-filled Zionist minorities, angry socialists and
revenge-desiring ethnic groups (i.e., the entire history of the
Bosnian/Serbian/Croatian conflict). The cabal cares not for race, religion
or ideology: these are just means to be exploited.
If we are to avoid the master cabal's global conspiracy (or any other form of socio-manipulation), we must stop seeking answers via linear analysis alone. A more effective solution would require us to approach the puzzle upon a spiritual level as well. For the nexus of our cure lies not in our want of an enemy upon which we can fix blame, but in a realisation of our need for friendship. This friendship, however, can only occur if humanity is willing to suspend judgement upon such issues as race, religion, ideology and even species. Protest must not be carried out against groups in incidental displays of action.
Within this article I have made several references to the United Nations. I do not wish these to be interpreted as supporting the theory that the UN is the means by which a one-world government will be implemented.
At the time of writing, my analysis of this issue is far from complete. At this stage, however, I am inclined to suspect that the UN is as great a victim of current world trends as any affair to date.
It is important in the analysis of the UN to be aware of the differences in power between the permanent Security Council members, the temporary Security Council members and the General Assembly.
One would also be wise to remember the WWII Battle of the Bulge affair where SS commandos donned US uniforms in an attempt to seize US supplies.
What appears does not equal what is. Protest must be carried out in
support of yourself upon a daily basis.
Unity and empathy are our planet's best hope.
When the consequences are worth it, the odds are never too great.
"I am you and you are me, XYZ to ABC. You, me, us, we are one." 45
1. Galula, David, Counter-insurgency Warfare, Pall Mall Press,
London, UK, 1964, p. 6.
2. Woodward, Bob, Veil: The Secret Wars of the CIA, 1981-1987, Headline Press, 1987, pp. 125-127.
3. Ibid., p. 127.
4. Bhutto, Benazir, Daughter of the East, Hammond Publishing, London, UK, 1988, p. 178.
5. Woodward, Bob, ibid., p. 79.
6. Bhutto, ibid., pp. 219-220.
7. Green, Mark J., Who Runs Congress?, Boston Books, Washington, DC, USA, 1975, p. 104.
8. "Clinton Seeks Mop-Up Diplomacy", The Sydney Morning Herald, Wednesday ? August 1995, p. 9.
9. Bhutto, ibid., editor's preface, p. xi. This early edition of Daughter of the East does not quote Benazir Bhutto's opinion on General Zia's death. However, the suspicious circumstances are cited in a last-minute amendment by the editor on page xi. When Zia's C130 exploded shortly after take-off, other passengers were also killed, including 10 of Pakistan's most senior military officers and the US Ambassador, Arnold Ralph. Ralph was also believed to be in charge of US military operations in Pakistan. Suspicions about Zia's death are also cited in Emma Duncan's Breaking the Curfew (Michael Joseph, London, UK, 1989, p. 294).
10. "Bhutto Reveals Assassination Plot", The Christchurch Press, 20 March 1995.
11. Scioco, Elaine, "Anger As US Lifts Pakistan Embargo", The Sydney Morning Herald, 23 September 1995.
12. Scioco, ibid.
13. Woodward, ibid., p. 168.
14. On 12 December 1995, The Australian reported that Newt Gingrich, Speaker of the US House of Representatives, had intervened on behalf of CIA "and other intelligence agencies" wishes "to push for new covert action programs to destabilise Iran's government". It further reported that Mr Gingrich "sees Iran as the Evil Empire and believes strongly that the US should oust Iran's current government". Finally, informed sources have stated that Mr Gingrich would like to see such action take place before January 1996.
15. World Affairs in Brief, Christchurch Press, 29 March 1995 (Reuter release).
16. "US May Pay $3m to Yousef's Betrayer", Christchurch Press, 6 February 1995 (Reuter release).
17. In 1982 this law prevented Washington from bribing convicted Red Brigade terrorist Michele Galati to provide information regarding the location of kidnapped General James Lee Dozier of NATO. In the end, funding was provided care of US intelligence advisory member, Ross H. Perot. (Source: Collin, Richard Oliver and Gordon L. Freeman, Winter of Fire, Dutton Books, NY, USA, 1990, p. 141.)
18. Webster, Paul, "Invisible Enemy Haunts Paris", The Guardian International, 3 September 1995.
19. Porgane, Roland Pierre and Michel Guricoix, "French Connection to Official Murder", Le Monde, 22 August 1995.
20. Plume, Christian and Pierre Demaret, Target De Gaulle, Corgi Books, 1974, p. 94.
21. Ibid., p. 98.
22. For example, Philip Agee, in his book, CIA Diary, demonstrates the CIA expansion in South #America upon the demise of JFK.
23. Wheelwright, Ted, Oil and World Politics, New Left Book Club, Sydney, Australia, 1991, p. 126.
24. Plume and Demaret, ibid., pp. 108-114.
25. Wheelwright, ibid., p. 124.
26. Ellingsen, Peter, "Italy in the Dock: Andreotti and the Godfather's Kiss", The Sydney Morning Herald, Spectrum, 30 September 1995. Italian PM Giulio Andreotti is currently standing trial for his involvement with the Mafia. David Yallop, in his book, In God's Name, also connects Andreotti to former Nazi and P2 Mafia boss, Licio Gelli. In his defence, Andreotti has called upon former UN Secretary-General (and believed P2 member) Javier Perez de Cuellar, and CFR member Henry Kissinger, as character witnesses.
27. The Chicago Tribune of 9 February 1945 released Walter Trohan's story of William Donovan's plans to initiate a postwar intelligence agency (the CIA), set up on the same designs and principles as the Gestapo (whom Donovan had been called upon to investigate and study)-"an agency quite willing to use psychological warfare and dirty tricks". In 1949, CIA Director Allen Dulles entered into a written contract with former German military intelligence head, General Reinhard Gehler. The contract permitted Gehler to conduct operations which included "political, economic and technological espionage" on behalf of the CIA. Gehler, in his memoirs, went so far as to say he taught the CIA all it knows. (Source: Jeffrey-Jones, Rhodri, The CIA and American Democracy, Yale University Press, Newhaven, USA, 1989, pp. 103-104.)
28. Il Gladio, BBC exposé, aired in New Zealand at 4.00 am in early June 1995.
29. Aarons, Mark and John Loftons, Ratlines, Heinemann, London, UK, 1991, p. 89.
30. Yallop, David, In God's Name, Corgi Books, London, UK, 1985 (reprinted 1993), p. 172.
33. Yallop, ibid. (in regard to Barbie); Aarons and Loftons, Ratlines, p. 85 (in regard to Pavlic).
34. Il Gladio, BBC exposé.
35. Yallop, ibid., p. 181.
36. Il Gladio, BBC exposé.
37. Yallop, ibid., p. 446.
38. Yallop, ibid.
39. McCarthie, Andrew, "Germans Fear Croatian Nest of Nazis", The Sydney Morning Herald, 23 September 1995, p. 15.
40. McCarthie, ibid.
41. Considering the Legion's history of connection with the OAS and its past as a source of refuge for post-WWII SS soldiers, this is not contradictory.
42. Likewise, this period also marked a sudden transformation in relations between New Zealand and the White House. After years of New Zealand being shunned by Washington, following New Zealand's nuclear-free policy (at least that is what surface media reports indicated), relations suddenly thawed. Jim Bolger was given close access to Bill Clinton, i.e., the Seattle meeting of 1994, the June 1995 VE Parade, and even a Disneyland-style 1995 White House tour. In turn, the year before saw the US central bank as guarantor of New Zealand's unsecured debts-a move which catapulted New Zealand's long-term credit rating upwards to AA standard.
43. It is known both by New Zealand Army Intelligence and by the Security Intelligence Service (SIS) that a large illegal automatic weapons trade does exist in New Zealand. Sources place the importation of automatic weapons as high as 33,000 annually, though the majority of these are headed for markets in Africa. However, a senior NZ intelligence investigation into the local trade was cancelled by the Prime Minister's Office in 1989. This was despite the SIS having sufficient evidence to arrange for the arrest of racist militants (advocates of both white and black power). The officer in charge of the case is said to have resigned in disgust.
44. Numerous police statements made in New Zealand have indicated that customs and law-enforcement personnel are on the alert and expect New Zealand to be increasingly used as a transient port in the narcotics industry. A combination of DEA campaigns against cocaine in the US, and the increased purity of the heroin available, indicate a move away from cocaine to heroin by US consumers. Sporadic media reports of police heroin busts, as well as severe increases in hard-drug usage and in addicts awaiting methadone treatment in New Zealand's major urban centres, point to New Zealand's use as a heroin-trafficking point. Bosnian and Somalian visitors have reported locals' beliefs that the US and UN forces have been involved in the heroin trade.
45. Pop Will Eat Itself, "XYZ", Care for Sanity album, BMG Records, 1990.