|'MMR jab ruined my life'|
THE SON of cricket legend Clive Lloyd believes the controversial MMR jab destroyed his dream of following in his fathers footsteps.
Jason Lloyd was struck by a rare illness, which attacked his nervous system and left him temporarily paralysed, within days of being given the vaccination at the age of 13.
He had been due to play for Englands under-15s, but was forced to give up the sport as he spent months of agony in hospital.
Jason, now 20, from Stockport, is joining others who allege the triple vaccine damaged their health in a huge lawsuit against a number of manufacturers.
His father Clive, who starred for West Indies and Lancashire, feared his son would die. He reveals his distress during an interview for TVs My Favourite Hymns on Sunday.
His wife, Waveney, warned other parents to think carefully before allowing their children to receive the triple vaccine.
She said: We feel so strongly about this that when it recently came time for our one-year-old grand-daughter to be vaccinated, my daughter paid for her to receive single vaccinations privately.
It makes me angry that the authorities claim it is perfectly safe when my son is living proof of the harm it can do. Mrs Lloyd said her son developed symptoms of the rare Guillain-Barre syndrome eight days after receiving the MMR jab.
His weight fell by more than two stone and he suffered severe inflammation of the nerve-endings, cramps and weakened limbs.
She said: He went from being a sporty and active teenager with dreams of playing cricket for his country to living in agony. He used to scream at me to chop off his hands and feet because he could not bear the pain.
It was eventually brought under control through medication, but then Jason developed ME which we also believe was connected to the vaccine. This again affected his education and ability to take part in sport.
Jason is studying biology at the University of Miami and hopes to become a specialist in treating sports injuries. At 6ft 9in he is a keen basketball player, but still regrets the fact his illness prevented him for pursuing a professional cricketing career. Jasons claim will be lodged with the courts following his 21st birthday in June. His is one of hundreds of claims being made against a number of manufacturers of the vaccine.
The first test cases, expected to be heard in October 2003, will set precedent for the remaining cases.