Images of Smallpox Vaccination
Pictures  [back] Images

jenner.jpg (42144 bytes)jenner1.jpg (184825 bytes)vacc.jpg (119338 bytes)oldguard.jpg (450661 bytes)vaccine1.jpg (89700 bytes)vaccination.jpg (304412 bytes)

[1901] Pure Vaccine, Where It Is Made

The   calf   is   strapped   to   a   tilting   table,   the right side being " thoroughly scrubbed with soap and hot water, and then shaved. ... A number of superficial incisions (about 100), each about one inch long, are then made in ... several rows . . . en echelon. The lancet employed for the purpose has a spear-headed blade. . . . Over each incision a drop of glycerinated lymph is allowed to fall from a glass tube, and the drop is rubbed in with the flat portion of the blade of the lancet. The process is carried out by one of the laboratory servants, and is a somewhat lengthy one, "When the ' lymph' has dried, the calf is removed from the table and taken back to its stall.      The vaccine material is always collected on the sixth day. The calf is once more placed on the table ; or, if material is required for immediate use only, it is usually allowed to stand. The vaccinated area is washed with warm water, and dried with clean soft cloths. Each vesicle is now clamped separately, and the crust first removed with a lancet, which is then wiped on a cloth pinned to the front of the cotton blouse which the operator has previously donned.      The vesicle is then thoroughly scraped with the edge of a somewhat blunt lancet, and the resultant mixture of lymph, epithelial tissue (skin), and blood is transferred to a small nickel crucible set in a wide wooden stand on a table close to the operator.       To the pultaceous (gruelly) mass contained in the crucible there is added about an equal quantity of glycerine.      The mixture of pulp and glycerine is triturated in a mixing machine . . . driven by a small electric motor.      The mixture, having thus been rendered thin and homogeneous, is received in a clean sterilised nickel crucible placed beneath the machine, but with a view of still further improving its appearance and of removing any extraneous matters, such as hairs, it is afterwards pressed through a small brass-wire sieve consisting of extremely fine gauze into an agate mortar. This is done by means of a bone spoon, and there is left on the surface of the gauze nothing but a very small quantity of epithelial tissue together with a few hairs. The mixture is further triturated in the mortar with an agate pestle, and is then ready for filling into the tubes in which it is distributed."

The Connaught archives hold a fourth photograph that does not appear in the collage, although it appears to have been taken at the same time as the three in the magazine. It shows a calf splayed on the operating table, legs encased in white cotton, with a technician scraping the vesicles, with a glass topped laboratory table next to him. The technician is white coated, but dark smears of what appears to be blood can be seen on his pants. This was not, perhaps, an image likely to reassure parents or anti vivisectionists.

Scientist Scraping Skin of a Calf for Use in Production of Smallpox Vaccine

Bovine smallpox vaccine was lymph taken from the pustules of cows infected with cowpox. Vaccination had earlier involved the transfer of fluid from one human arm to another, which created its own set of problems, and the use of the calf in the late nineteenth century was seen as an improvement. (A calf could not transmit syphilis, or a range of other human diseases as human lymph might.) To produce bovine vaccine, the calf was shaved and scarified with vaccine; five days later large vesicles formed, and when the vesicles were considered ripe they were broken and the lymph harvested. It was this material that was used to vaccinate children against smallpox.

English physician S. Monkton Copeman showed that adding glycerin to lymph acts as a germicide. As glycerin came to be widely used, it reduced transmission of harmful microbes via the lymph. This photograph from a brochure shows the cattle operating room at Dr. H.M. Alexander's vaccine farm, outside Philadelphia.

 After packaging bulk smallpox vaccine imported from the New York City Health Department Laboratories for about a year, Connaught Laboratories began to fully prepare its own smallpox vaccine in September 1917. The first step in the production process was shaving and preparing the calf for inoculation. Source: Sanofi Pasteur Limited (Connaught Campus) Archives, Acc1954.

Vignette showing lymph taken from a calf on a table. Wood engraving. Charles Joseph Staniland, 1883.






Although there have been thousands of cancers caused by vaccination space will not permit the reviewing of the case histories or even a small fraction of them. The photographs below will give an idea of the tragic condition and intense suffering brought about by this curse of the modern age — vaccination.

Mrs Helen Goates of Bolivar, Missouri was a strong, healthy woman with no skin trouble or chronic disease when she was persuaded, during a vaccination drive, to submit to vaccination. Almost immediately, after the injection, an inflamed swelling started to develop around the vaccination. It continued to increase in size and intensity until it covered her entire arm and hand. After a period of time it spread over her back and breast as is shown in the photograph.  

Mrs Helen Goates of Bolivar, Missouri was a strong, healthy woman with no skin trouble or chronic disease when she was persuaded, during a vaccination drive, to submit to vaccination. Almost immediately, after the injection, an inflamed swelling started to develop around the vaccination. It continued to increase in size and intensity until it covered her entire arm and hand. After a period of time it spread over her back and breast as is shown in the photograph.

She was treated by more than a dozen doctors and cancer specialists but the condition grew steadily worse until death relieved her of her agony. Before her death she requested that a photograph be taken of the cancer in order that others might see the results of vaccination and be warned, in time against this ever present danger of vaccine poisoning.

The cancer does not always start immediately. It usually takes months or years for the poisons to degenerate enough tissue for a cancer to form.

Photograph by permission of Harbison Printers, Oceano, Calif.

It is for this reason that most doctors fail to recognize the connection between the vaccinations and the cancers. The following photograph is an example of a later development.

Benjamin F. Olevine of Altoona, Pennsylvania, was vaccinated when in good health. Two months later a sarcomatous (tumorous) growth began to develop where the vaccination sore had not healed. The growth reached enormous proportions, as may be seen from the photograph, and caused intense pain and untold suffering, not, only in the arm but throughout the entire body. No cure was possible and his misery was relieved only by death.



These are just a few of the hundreds of cases of blindness, paralysis, cancer, ulcers and other diseases of vaccination that resulted in death. Most of these photographs were collected by Anti-Vaccination League of England and America and published in VACCINATION AT WORK and other books on the subject of vaccination.

Mona Stevenson of Humphrey St. Burnley, England, was vaccinated at the age of five weeks by Dr. J. W. Clegg, with the official glycerinated calf-lymph, after five weeks of suffering in which the child’s face and arm was partly eaten away by the vaccine disease, the child died. The same doctor certified the cause of death as "generalized vaccinia, 36 days, and exhaustion." Mona Stevenson of Humphrey St. Burnley, England, was vaccinated at the age of five weeks by Dr. J. W. Clegg, with the official glycerinated calf-lymph, after five weeks of suffering in which the child’s face and arm was partly eaten away by the vaccine disease, the child died. The same doctor certified the cause of death as "generalized vaccinia, 36 days, and exhaustion."


hood1.jpg (17149 bytes) Willie Hood, six year old son of J.G. Hood, 4150 Lafayette Ave., St. Louis, Mo. died of lockjaw following vaccination on Oct. 14, 1917. (Details given in the Vaccination Inquirer, Nov. 1, 1917)

Charles Higgens, of New York, shows photographs of five other fatal cases of post-vaccinal lock-jaw in his well documented book "The Horrors of Vaccination. (Pub. 1920) Records of 30 other fatal cases of this disease in New York, were published by Mr. James A. Loyster, of New York, whose son died of infantile paralysis (cerebral) as a result of vaccination. (The account of this case is given on page 33 of VACCINATION AT WORK, published by the National Anti-Vaccination-League.


thompson1.jpg (25368 bytes) Ethel Mary Thompson, age seven months, (from Skene Row, Aberdeen) was a beautiful, healthy infant until vaccinated. Soon after this operation ulcers began to develop that never healed. Six weeks later when the doctor was called, he observed that "there was a great punched-out" hole right through the arm near the vaccination and another gaping wound in the arm pit. The flesh in this area had decayed until the ribs were exposed. On the abdomen was a large brown patch of decaying flesh and the knee was swollen out of proportion to its normal size. Festering sores were forming on the toes. After two months of untold suffering the child died.


cheeseman1.jpg (24349 bytes) "Ernest Cheeseman of Rose Cottages, Wescott, Dorking, England was vaccinated at the age of nine weeks with the standard glycerinated calf-lymph supplied by the local Government Board on Nov. 3rd. Up to that time he was healthy and normal and his parents were in good health. Five days after his vaccination a serious form of syphilitic skin disease develloped and death relieved him of his suffering on Nov. 30th. The body was covered with eczema-like eruptions and the feet were drawn up, all out of shape. The sores that broke out around the mouth looked like burnt meat and stood out at least half an inch." (From Vaccination at Work)

When syphilis results from vaccination, it is the usual claim of the doctors, that the mother must surely have syphilis and certainly communicated it to the child. In Wales when 4,000 infants were found to be syphilitic after their vaccinations, all the parents were examined by the doctors in an effort to lay the blame on them, but the parents were found to be free from syphilis.

In the case of the Cheeseman baby, the same cowardly accusations were made against the mother, by the doctors. She willingly underwent a medical examination and it was found that she was normal and healthy, with no syphilitic taint. The examiner stated:

"I do not think there is any reason whatever to suspect that she has ever suffered from syphilis. I find no indication of such disease."

Some of the doctors at the inquest persisted in their morbid character defamation charges against the mother and refused to believe the medical report that gave her a clean bill of health. On the strength of their own opinions they insisted that she was syphilitic and would not be able to give birth to another normal baby.

To prove that the accusations of the doctors were unjustified she had the following photograph taken after the birth of her next child, Frederick John, who was 10 weeks old at the time his was taken. It is apparent that the child is well and healthy—and unvaccinated. The fathers (in England) who refused to have their children serve prison terms under compulsory vaccination but many of them accepted this punishment in order to save their children from the deadly effects of vaccination.

kand1.jpg (35250 bytes) Rita and Eberhard Kandlbinder, died on June, 1951, as a result of vaccination.

The Munchner Illustrierte, June 28, 1951, reported the "mysterious death of six infants after smallpox vaccinations." After the photographs and story of these deaths occurred many other parents came forth with similar stories, although the doctors had named some other cause for the deaths. Most of the vaccination deaths are unknown because they are unreported as such (see the chapter on Falsified Death Certificates, Book II).


cape1.jpg (31829 bytes) "Horace Capewell of 5 Court St., Southbridge, England, was a fine healthy baby with beautiful eyes. He was vaccinated when five weeks old. Nine days later his body was a mass of sores. His eyes became affected and at the age of five months he was totally blind Many doctors at Birmingham had the case under treatment but nothing could restore his sight This was taken many years later at the age of 20 years.

certificate1.jpg (39322 bytes)

Photostat of death certificate of victim of vaccination.

There is no doctor or test that can predict whether or not vaccination will bring death, disability or the potentialities of future disease. Is the risk worth the dubious promise of immunity?


furness1.jpg (21105 bytes) These beautiful, healthy twins, Peter and Portia Furness, aged 4˝ years died two weeks after being vaccinated with certified government vaccine The deaths took place May, 1931 at South Wigston, near Leicester, England. This is one of the few cases in which the doctors admitted the real cause of death on the death certificate as being post-vaccinal encephalitis.


gooding1.jpg (21964 bytes) Margaret Ann, the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Donald W. Gooding, of Wolsey, Essex, England, was pronounced a perfect baby by the doctor when she was born. This beautiful and healthy infant was vaccinated at the age of 4 months. The first two injections didn’t take so a third vaccination was given, after which inflammation of the brain developed within 5 days. She was taken to the hospital where she remained for many weeks. At the age of 13 months she was blind and could not learn to walk. She also developed digestive disturbances and convulsions.

This tragic case was brought to the attention of the House of Commons in the hope that an investigation would be made of the hazards of vaccination and others would be warned of the danger. Mr. Bevan was shown the possibility of other similar results if the same practice was continued and he was asked if he would make the result of his inquiry fully available to the House of Commons and the public.

If he ever made an honest investigation it would result in an unqualified condemnation of vaccination. This he did not do so far as I have been able to find out.


blindness1.jpg (19528 bytes) This child was a healthy, normal child at birth. When she was a year and a half old she was vaccinated, after which her eyes began to exude matter and within a week they closed and she has been blind ever since. Dr. Blasson, Dr. Kynaston and the famous specialist, Dr. Bell Taylor, all examined the child and acknowledged that the blindness was due to vaccination.

Because the father defied the vaccination law and refused to have his other child vaccinated he was to be prosecuted. He carried his blind child into the court room and showed her eyes and her arm which was enlarged, deformed and sore from the shoulder to the finger tips. The evidence and the public sentiment against the vaccination law influenced the magistrates to exempt the father from having his other child vaccinated.


macdonald1.jpg (21375 bytes) John James MacDonald was well and normal when vaccinated. After a time his vaccinated arm withered and drew up until it was useless. Then his right leg became emaciated and so drawn up that he could no longer walk. The vaccination refused to heal and in addition to that, a festering sore developed on his foot.


west.jpg (51173 bytes) Job West of Bradford-On-Avon was vaccinated as a boy and partially paralyzed soon after the injection. For many years he lost the power of voluntary movement of the lower limbs. In spite of his handicap and suffering he became a renowned "student and authority on the vaccination question, and a most prolific writer on the subject."


thuroff1.jpg (24045 bytes) Elsie Thuroff was born March 3, 1920 and vaccinated June 8, 1921. In August of the same year she began suffering from "violent grinding pains, and swelling and distortion of the bones of her arm up to her shoulder. The medical diagnosis was tuberculosis of the bones. She underwent an operation after which the condition grew steadily worse until her arm drew up and became helpless.  The skin of the face burned away. The vaccination marks suppurated and the body wasted away to a living skeleton.  "After suffering excruciating pain she died on the 8th of January, 1923."


eczema.jpg (25833 bytes) This six year old boy died of generalized vaccinia. He had been subject to eczema since the age of six weeks. Since eczema is a condition of extreme toxemia (acidosis or internal poisoning) the poison from the vaccine serum intensified the body poisoning and he died September 1949.

In March 1953, Dr. George Taylor of Bradford vaccinated his five-months’ old daughter who was suffering from a mild case of eczema and the baby died nine days later of generalized vaccinia and eczema. The doctors are beginning to see the seriousness of poisoning the already poisoned sick with more poison in the form of vaccine serums.


hamilton.jpg (23798 bytes) William Hamilton was vaccinated at three months of age. The poison spread and the sores never healed. The case was attended by six doctors but they gave it up as a hopeless case. His arm has been useless since the vaccination in infancy, The photo was taken when he was 15 years of age.



[1933] The Golden Calf by Charles W. Forward